Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Running the Calabasas Classic


My siblings and I
The race day finally came.  After training for the 5k with a running group for 2 months, I was ready for the big day.   I was a little bit nervous as I was going to run in the 11-14 age category and I am only 11.  My day started on a chilly morning with the sun just starting to peek its way through the clouds.  I warmed up with my track and field group that were also getting ready to run the race.  There were thousands of people watching, walking, or running the race. Two of my swimming coaches were also there running the race with me.  While I was resting from my warm-up,  I looked around, and tried to  find the start line. Since there were so many people, I couldn't even see it! There was also a DJ warming everyone up before the race.  A giant clock counted down until 8:00 am and the horn blew the start of the race. 
Coach Lara with me at the start of the race.  


We were running a large loop around the streets in our neighborhood. The week before the race, I ran the course many times for practice and felt ready for this race.  After the half way point, I got a cup of water and poured it over my head to refresh myself.  It felt so nice that I sprinted the rest of the race.  While I was running the race, my siblings were at work making a me a sign to cheer me on.   As I made my way to the finish line, my mom, sisters, and brother cheered me.

When I had finally finished, I had run the race in 23: 45: 38 and came in 5th place in my age group and 20th overall.  The fastest girl in my age category ran the race in 20:43:61.  


My sister and I after the race

Here is a video of the start of the race.





Have you ever been in a race with this many people?

5 comments:

  1. Dear Miriam,

    Congratulations on your run! I am proud of the way you trained and am impressed with your top five finish! Running is such good exercise and it seems as if you enjoy it quite a bit too!

    Mr. Yollis does the treadmill at the gym to get exercise. Have you ever been on one of those? I'm sure a lot of the pleasure of the exercise is being outdoors.

    Would you ever consider running in a marathon? You know who else likes to run? Mrs. Morris! She had a baby last year, but I'm sure she's back running now. Perhaps her girl, Novalie, will be a runner too!

    Happy New Year!

    Your proud former teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miriam,
    We are very proud of you, you worked hard and you able to finish the race with a very good time. You had support of your parents and your siblings and it's helps. Next time you will run at this kind of event invite your aunt Elana to join. Love you,

    Grandma Tanya and Grandpa Eugene
    O .you.
    Aunt
    ',

    helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa, Room 1 - Auroa School: Wow, I really like your work that you've done on your blog. I really liked the story about the run you completed because just recently I competed in the round the mountain relay on my tandem bike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaiah,Room1,Auroa School, New Zealand.
    Wow! What a great story. Good job getting 5th place. In New Zealand we've also got a triathalon that our school just did recently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Miriam,
    My name is Larry and i live in Wisconsin. I loved your blog.

    ReplyDelete

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Please proofread your comment for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, simply choose "Anonymous".)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥