Monday, March 19, 2012

Sonata in C major by Haydn

haydn
1732-1809





A few days ago, I had my fifth piano competition.  At the competition I played Sonata in C major hob 16 no 35 by Franz Joseph Haydn.  My sister also played at the competition, and she played Sonata in D major by Haydn also.  He wrote many pieces for the orchestra but he also wrote some pieces for the piano.

Haydn was an Austrian composer, who was born on March 31, 1732.  He played during the classical period with ClementiBeethoven and Mozart.  He wrote many pieces for the orchestra but he also wrote some pieces for the piano. He was also a close friend of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and a taught  Ludwig van Beethoven.  Haydn spent much of his career (30 years) as a court musician for the wealthy Esterházy family.

Haydn was a master at developing themes.  He built  a whole movement around one major theme through varying textures and rhythm.  Haydn's created 104 symphonies along with 68 string quartets and they are considered the most important part of his enormous productions. Many of them have nicknames, like Surprise, Military, Clock, and Drum Roll.

At the time of his death, he was one of the most famous composers in all of Europe. Haydn died in 1809, at the age of seventy-seven.


After the concert, the judges emailed the teachers our places.  They gave out 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and honorable mention. I received an honorable mention.   Below is a video of Sonata in C major hob 16 no 35.








Have you ever listened to Haydn's music?
 
Do you like it?











































































































8 comments:

  1. Dear Miriam,
    We heard your playing with great
    pleasure. We read your post and found
    out that this music was created by
    Haydn. We thought it was Mozart and we
    were wrong.
    We know this music but you taught us who
    was a real composer. Thank you for
    teaching us. We wish you great success.
    Love grandma Mila and granddad Isay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Grandma Mila and Grandpa Isay,

      Thank you for leaving me a lovely comment. Thank you also for leaving so many comments. I love to play piano and especially fast songs. I hope you keep leaving me comments.

      Sincerely,
      Miriam

      Delete
  2. Dear Miriam,

    Well done I was so pleased to read in your post that received an honourable mention. You are so talented at playing the piano.

    You play the piano just beautiful.
    I have not listened to Haydn but I will. I am no longer playing the piano as I am having a bit of a break.

    How long have you been playing the piano?

    Great post Miriam.

    From your pal,
    BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @BB,

      Thank you for leaving me such a lovely comment and also for leaving me many wonderful comments. I like the piano and I have been playing the piano for three years. Sarah let me try her violin, but I didn't want to learn another instrument.

      Sincerely,
      Miriam

      Delete
  3. Dear Miriam,

    Bravo! once again you have show us all just what a talented piano player you are. I really enjoyed this post and well done upon receiving your honourable award.
    I bet your parents are so proud of you.

    Your post was wonderful as I didn't realise that Hayden created music. You have become a great teacher and teaching us all about the love of music because of your posts.

    Do you have a favourite piece of music which you love to play?

    Keeping Blogging Miriam.

    From your friend,
    AA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @AA,

      Thank you for leaving me a wonderful comment. I really appreciate that you take the time and leave so many awesome comments. I love fast songs but my sister Sarah likes slow songs. My favorite piece to play which I just started is called The Flight of the Bumble Bee. Have you heard this piece before?

      Sincerely,
      Miriam

      Delete
  4. ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬

    Dear Miriam,

    Wow! What a wonderful piece you performed. Simply enchanting! I have listen to Haydn many times, but I must say you really brought it to life for me.

    You have a wonderful touch at the piano! That type of expression really shows how you are interpreting the music. Lovely! How long have you been working on that piece? What steps do you take to memorize a song?

    I know that you just turned ten years old. Wow, double digits, girl! What did you do for your birthday?

    Thanks for playing so we all can enjoy!

    Your proud former teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    P.S. Stop by my classroom tomorrow. I want to share some news with you. :-)

    ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬ ♥ ♬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

      Thank you for your wonderful comment. I really like that you leave so many quality comments on my blog. I got to celebrate my birthday the whole weekend. First, I had a slumber party with 10 girls. The next day my family came over for a second party. It was a lot of fun.

      I started to learn the Sonata around Thanksgiving, so it took me about 4 months to get it ready. The steps that I take to memorize a song is first play it many times and learn the song page by page. I am now starting to study for a music evaluation exam. I will have to take a written exam on music theory and play 3 pieces. The exam is in June and I still have many things to learn.

      Sincerely,
      ♬Miriam♬

      Delete

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Please proofread your comment for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, simply choose "Anonymous".)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥